<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://fancyfrugallife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Fancy Frugal Life: Pinkalicious Applique Cupcake Top Tutorial

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pinkalicious Applique Cupcake Top Tutorial





My little girl's favorite book right now is Pinkalicious. It's about a girl who eats too many pink cupcakes and turns pink. We read it almost daily and thank goodness there's a whole series now because I know every word!



This cute cupcake top was inspired by this story and here's how you can make one for your very own princess!

Yes we all know I'm obsessed with applique kids clothes....they are just so seriously cute!

For this tutorial I am starting at the point where my fusible web (I used wonder Under) is already ironed onto the cupcake shape of fabric. See my previous applique post here for more details.




First iron on your fabric cupcake to the shirt. Then I used 1.5 inch thick grosgrain ribbon to make a ruffle. I sew with a running stitch down the right side and when you gently pull on it, it'll make a ruffle. I didn't cut the ribbon from the spool until I made enough of a ruffle to embellish the top of your cupcake like frosting. This is where you need to shape your ruffle so it'll look nice. Then cut the ribbon and sew off the ruffle so it won't come undone. Then pick random areas of the ruffle to make a few stitches so it lays nicely on your shirt. The last thing I did was sew around the edges of the bottom fabric shape and sewed on a red button for the cherry!





This is the Halloween costume I came up with for less than $10.

-Wings from Target $1 bin

-Wand form Target $1 bin

-Tutu skirt $4.99 Target

-The white tank was $1 via Old Navy. When they have the tank sale I stock up!

The fabric & ribbon scraps were on hand along with a tiara!



I hope this post inspires some fancy & frugal Pinkalicious fun!













xoxo

Lina

Love it?
Pin It













I am joining these parties!


Photobucket"/>
Tip Junkie handmade projects



Photobucket

Transformation Thursday










Passionately Artistic






The 36th Avenue




Design Dazzle

23 Comments:

At October 13, 2011 at 6:58 PM , Blogger Felecia Cofield said...

Your little girl is so cute in her costume! Love it!

 
At October 14, 2011 at 3:08 PM , Blogger Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

What a gorgeous costume! Your little girls is so lucky! I am a new Twitter follower from For the Kids Friday. Vicky from www.messforless.net

 
At October 15, 2011 at 7:18 AM , Blogger Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Way too cute -- love it!!

 
At October 17, 2011 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Danyele Easterhaus said...

love pnkalicious! with 4 girlies, i will be doing this one soon! the

 
At October 17, 2011 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

That is absolutely aDORable! Too cute! I love the 3D effect of the ribbon. I'd be so excited if you'd link this at my 'think pink' party!

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/welcome-to-week-6-of-falling-for-crafts.html

 
At October 17, 2011 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

This is so cute, and we are loving the goldilicious book in the series right now. And I love how you made this into such a cute and inexpensive costume. I wish my girls didn't have their costumes all planned!

Thanks for sharing this on Monday Madness!

 
At October 17, 2011 at 11:47 PM , Blogger Natasha in Oz said...

That is such a sweet idea for a little girl. Your cute little model looks very pretty in pink!

I have posted a very pink post for my weekly Pinning & Singing Pinterest linky Party this weekend to honour a very dear friend of mine who passed away just last week from breast cancer. This October's pink ribbon campaign is now even more important and poignant than ever before. I hope you will come visit.

Best wishes,
Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

 
At October 18, 2011 at 1:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I featured this on One Artsy Mama's facebook page today! Stop by the blog and grab a featured button if you like!

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com

 
At October 18, 2011 at 7:21 PM , Blogger All That Glitters said...

Very cute! If I only had a girl! =)

 
At October 20, 2011 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Marilyn said...

Love it..How creative and awesome..I would totally love for you to share and link this to my Pin'Inspirational creative Thursday party happening today pweeease..Link ~ http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/10/pininspirational-thursdays-linky-party.html ..Wishing ya a lovely day :))

 
At October 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM , Blogger Terra said...

My daughter would love this.

 
At October 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM , Blogger Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

How sweet is that?! So, so creative and love the cost break down. :)

 
At October 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM , Blogger Charisa said...

So cute! My daughter would LOVE this!

 
At October 21, 2011 at 9:22 PM , Blogger Danielle said...

So Stinkin' cute!!
Just popped over from TT&J

 
At October 23, 2011 at 5:04 AM , Blogger Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Adorable ... you did such a great job! And what a little cutie!

 
At October 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Lindsay said...

Seriously the cutest little applique. My girls love that book! Such a sweet little model you have there! Thanks for sharing this @ Show & Share! I love having you here!

 
At October 23, 2011 at 1:28 PM , Blogger Blissful & Domestic said...

love this book and love this costume. I am featuring you tonight on Blissful and Domestic. Stop by and grab a button

www.blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com

 
At October 23, 2011 at 7:44 PM , Blogger Laura said...

I can't sew and I don't think I could ever do that, but I am in love with us. We have two litter girls in our home who love pinkalicious and a little boy who secretly loves it too especially yelling pink a boo at the end. I am totally sharing this tomorrow on Monday Madness as a favorite (even though I still haven't read all the entries yet!) You make me wish I was more crafty. I think this is the first I have been to your blog. I can't wait to read more of your ideas!

 
At October 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM , Blogger ★♪♫¸.·*¨) Angie said...

YAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAY BLESS YOUR HEART!!! My 9.5 m/o is being a "Kupcake Fairy" for Halloween, I decided many months ago, and I bought a onesie with tiny tutu ruffle from Old Navy on clearance, but I'm adding a purple iridescent homemade tutu to it, plus $ store wings and light up wand... but I'm SO NEEDING to get a cupcake on the onesie and this is just the inspiration I needed! YOU ROCK!!!!

 
At October 24, 2011 at 12:21 PM , Blogger ★♪♫¸.·*¨) Angie said...

ALSO- did she ever wear the tiara? My baby child won't keep anything on her head very long :( (whine*pout*moan)

 
At October 25, 2011 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

How cute. What an adorable little girl. I would love for you to stop by and link up your project to More the Merrier Monday. It lasts through Wednesday so you have plenty of time to link up.
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

 
At October 27, 2011 at 12:19 PM , Blogger ★♪♫¸.·*¨) Angie said...

OKay I did it- I'm so excited! Here's a link, because I linked back to you!! http://texassugarmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/before-i-get-even-further-behind.html
Thanks again!!

 
At October 2, 2012 at 9:40 PM , Blogger Danielle said...

I am doing a round up of book inspired costumes and would love to include one pic from your blog and a link to this great costume. Would that be okay with you? Please let me know!

Danielletscribner at gmail dot com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home