<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://fancyfrugallife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Fancy Frugal Life: Mini Family Room Makeover using Fabric & Color

Monday, November 19, 2012

Mini Family Room Makeover using Fabric & Color

Good Morning Friends! Today I'd love for you to stop by and spend some time in our family room.
We pretty much have had everything the same in our last four houses, so it was time for some updating!
I know...it's not that huge of a change but trust me it looks so much better in person.
Here are the details....Keep in mind this dark orange wall was here and staying so we are working with what we have!! :) 



The number one item that was bugging me was the red and gold heavy curtains....They just weren't us and were the ones already here. We stored them and will put them back when we leave....
The couch cushions were sagging majorly! We've had the couch for 7 years and I'd love a new one because it's well loved (worn)...but who has money for that? Not us :) 
--Funny Personal Story: On our 3rd date my now husband took me to La-Z-Boy to help him pick out new couches for his house..I wouldn't have let him pick that color if I knew those would be my couches for the next 7 years! He ha-- but it could be worse...they could be bachelor black....
The throw pillows were so worn and old. It was their time to go.
Picture frames....Why are all mine brown or different colored metal?
And finally...We have 3 big brown and gold canvas oil paintings from a large art superstore that were way overpriced...6 years ago! Ha my hubby won't let me get rid of them...but the colors aren't really my style anymore :) 

The first thing I did was get some new white/orange chevron print throw pillows at TJ Maxx...$15/each

I love this fall leaf pillow I found at Home Goods for $5....

I spray painted my frames my fav Krylon color Catalina Mist..

And here is the couch re stuffed!!! This excites me because I went out of town last week to see my dad by myself (on a Lina-cation), and my hubby went to Joanne's and bought 4 bags of stuffing and just added it to the zipped liner inside. It worked! 
That was a huge money saver...We had been getting quotes for an upholstery shop to do it.
Ok here are my favorite projects...
I used fabric and tacks to cover the big canvasses we have. I did this because it can be temporary if we get sick of it and I'm still not buying new wall art :) But it looks completely transformed!
This is a pretty blue upholstery fabric from Joann's.


This is a great fabric from Ikea I had in my stash.



Ok this one is my fav. It looks great against this dark orange wall.
This fabric was also in my stash from Ikea...I wish I had more since we no longer live in a city with Ikea! 
I found these extra long panels at TJ Maxx for $10/panel
My french label end table I painted is still hanging in there :)
And there we go! My family room. We spend a lot of time in here so I'm glad I gave it some attention!
What do you think? Do the colors and patterns make it look updated?
Also check out this beautiful fabric shower curtain I found in the clearance section for $5 at Target...I'm thinking more throw pillows?! 

Maybe Santa will bring me a new light blue/white area rug? Or maybe he will say "Lina the rug we have works fine".:)
Thanks for stopping by!
Consider following and never miss a post!
                                          A Mommy’s Blog Design Free Pinterest Social Media IconFacebookRSS FeedEmailTwitter
Tip Junkie

SNAP!
House on the Way
SixSistersStuff.com

4 Comments:

At November 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You did a fantastic job Lina. I always love seeing your makeovers. You are the queen of saving, and you have the best ideas. Keep the pictures coming. You always make your home look so happy, beautiful and loved.

 
At November 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM , Blogger Bobi Jensen said...

I love it. So simple and a big impact!

Bobi

 
At November 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM , Blogger DIYbyDesign said...

It looks amazing. I will be featuring it tonight at my Fall into Fall party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

 
At November 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM , Blogger Mrs. Handyverger said...

Love it! What a huge difference bringing in the pops of blue made - but I think the curtains make the biggest difference. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home